SKY MEADOWS STATE PARK
SKY MEADOWS STATE PARK
11012 Edmonds Lane
Delaplane, Virginia 20144
Toll Free: 800-933-7275
The land for this park was donated in 1975 by Paul Mellon of Upperville to the Commonwealth of Virginia. It consisted of 1,132 acres. The name Sky Meadows came from former owner Sir Robert Hadow, who named the property "Skye Farm" after an island in Scotland. In 1988 Mellon donated another 486 acres. This area has been developed into an equestrian staging and bridle trail area.
Just an hour?s drive from Washington, D.C., Sky Meadows State Park in Clarke and Fauquier counties, offers a peaceful getaway on the eastern side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Rich in history, the park has rolling pastures and woodlands, scenic vistas and provides a look into a bygone era. The park also has access to the Appalachian Trail and a primitive hike-in campground, as well as picnicking, hiking and riding trails, interpretive programs and a visitor center in the historic Mount Bleak House.
Settlement of the area can be attributed to nearby Ashby's Gap, which gave settlers access to the Shenandoah Valley. Just south of Ashby's Gap, a 5,000-acre tract of land became the property of James Ball. Upon his death in 1754, the land was divided into five parts and given to his children. The land of the present day manor house later became the property of Isaac and Mary Settle, prominent citizens in nearby Paris, Va. Isaac Settle built the Mount Bleak house and gave it to his son Abner as a wedding gift in 1835.
About 1870 Mount Bleak became the property of George M. Slater, a former Confederate soldier. Slater had been one of the first nine men detailed by General J.E.B. Stuart to accompany John Singleton Mosby, a noted Confederate officer and partisan leader. Mosby's Rangers, as they were known, spent some time in this area, and this is when Slater first saw Mount Bleak. He returned after the war and lived there for 55 years.
The property changed owners several more times in the 1900s. In 1975, Paul Mellon of Upperville, Va., donated the 1,132-acre tract to the Commonwealth for the development of a state park. In 1987, 245 acres were acquired to provide an Appalachian Trail corridor, and in 1988, Mellon donated another 486 acres, inceasing the park's acreage to 1,862.
Cottages and Cabins
An amazing getaway from hustle and bustle of everyday life. What do you have in mind A romantic weekend A family vacation Or, a weekend getaway with friends We recommend escaping to the Blue Ridge Mountains in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.
13 miles from park*
Freshwater fishing in one-acre pond. Fishing is permitted from the shoreline only, with a valid license. Fish typically include largemouth bass, catfish and bluegill. No boat rentals or launch.