QUADDICK STATE FOREST
The area which is now Quaddick State Park was once the site of Thompson's town farm where elderly residents of the village spent their reflective years. Prior to that, it had been a fishing area of the Nipmuck Indians. The cool reservoir water and the sandy beach draw frequent crowds during the warm summer months.
The state park was once the site of Thompson's town farm where elderly residents of the village spent their reflective years. Prior to that, it had been a fishing area of the Nipmuck Indians. In 1866 the town of Thompson granted the right to flow what was then Kings Pond to a higher level creating Quaddick Reservoir. The reservoir was heavily used as a source of power as well as water for processing textile materials in the plants in Killingly. In 1951, Quaddick was designated a state park after originally being developed as a Forestry recreation area.
Connecticut has made state parks, forests, trails, historic sites and beaches more accessible to our residents so they can enjoy the many attractions and beauty they offer. Under the Passport to the Parks program, parking fees are now eliminated at Connecticut State Parks for those with Connecticut registered vehicles. You can view the CONNECTICUT PASSPORT TO THE PARKS
web page to learn more.
BBs / Inns
A Bed Breakfast in the Quiet Corner of Northeast Connecticut on Route 169, a National Scenic Byway.
15.1 miles from park*