BOMOSEEN STATE PARK
The 3,576-acre park is located in the Taconic Mountains on the shores of Lake Bomoseen, the largest lake entirely within Vermonts borders. The Taconics are the slate-producing region of Vermont, and the area's history parallels the rise and fall of Vermont's slate industry. The park contains several quarry holes and their adjacent colorful slate rubble piles as reminders of this period. These quarries provided slate for the West Castleton Railroad and Slate Company, a complex of 60 to 70 buildings that stood between Glen Lake and Lake Bomoseen. Several slate buildings and foundations remain in the park. A self-guided Slate History Trail leads hikers through remnants of this bygone era.
First opened to the public in 1960, the park boundaries encompass more than 2,000 acres surrounding nearby Glen Lake and forested land comprising the camping area that is Half Moon State Park. Several hiking trails, including one to Half Moon, provide great hiking and wildlife-viewing opportunities. Boating, fishing and swimming are popular in Lake Bomoseen and nearby Glen Lake.
Bomoseen State Park pavilion
The picnic pavilion is available to rent
The campground contains 55 tent/RV sites and 10 lean-tos. Some sites are wooded and some are grassy and open, while others are located along the lakeshore. There are restrooms with flush toilets, hot and cold running water and coin-operated hot showers. There is also an RV sanitary station located at the park.
The park has a beach for swimming and a picnic area. A snack bar concession stand and boat rentals canoe, kayak, row, and pedal are available at the beach. Several hiking trails, including one to Half Moon Pond State Park, provide great hiking opportunities. There is fishing in Lake Bomoseen, as well as in nearby Glen Lake.
The park also has a picnic pavilion that is available to rent. This open pavilion seats up to 100 people and has electricity, grills and picnic tables. The pavilion is universally accessible. Restrooms are nearby.
Part of the area comprising the park was owned by the Lake Shore Slate Co., owned and operated by Samuel L. Hazard. When Mr. Hazard passed away in 1929 the remaining property was left to his stepdaughter, Martha Warren. Mrs. Warren lived there year round, before making it her summer home. In 1959 she donated approximately 365 acres of land and included buildings to the State for recreational purposes and as a refuge and sanctuary for wildlife. A collection of historical objects is located in Mrs. Warrens former home, which also includes the Park Rangers quarters.