BEACON ROCK STATE PARK
Beacon Rock State Park is a 4,650-acre year-round camping park with historic significance dating back hundreds of years. The park includes 9,500 feet of freshwater shoreline on the Columbia River. Located in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, Beacon Rock is the core of an ancient volcano. The mile-long trail to its summit provides outstanding panoramic views of the Columbia River Gorge. The park has over 20 miles of roads and trails open to hiking, mountain biking and equestrian use.
Summer: 8 a.m. to dusk.Winter: 8 a.m. to dusk for day use only.
Technical rock climbing: The South and Southeast faces of Beacon Rock close annually on Feb. 1 and tentatively reopen mid-July. The Northwest corner is open for climbing year round. The east face is closed for the protection of rare species, cultural and historical resources.
Camping:Check-in time, 2:30 p.m.Check-out time, 1 p.m.Quiet hours: 10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
The boat pumpout and electrical hookup sites on the moorage dock are closed for the winter.
Two campsites at the moorage dock are open year round.
Wildlife Mammals Birds Fish & Sea Life? Bears? Bobcats? Chipmunks? Coyotes? Deer or Elk? Rabbits? Skunks? Squirrels ? Crows or Ravens? Doves or Pigeons? Ducks? Eagles? Geese? Grouse? Gulls? Hawks? Herons? Hummingbirds? Jays? Ospreys? Owls? Woodpeckers? Wrens ? Bass? Crappie? Salmon? Steelhead? Sturgeon? Trout? Walleye
Beacon Rock is the core of an ancient volcano. The ice-age floods through the Columbia River Gorge eroded the softer material away, leaving this unique geological structure standing by itself on the banks of the Columbia River. ? Douglas Fir? Ponderosa Pine? Alder? Cherry? Maple? Daisy? Lupines? Paintbrush? Rhododendron? Berries? Ferns? Moss or Lichens? Thistle? Poison Oak
"Beacon Rock" was originally named by Lewis and Clark on their expedition to the Pacific Ocean on October 31, 1805. It was near Beacon Rock that they first measured tidal influences from the ocean on the Columbia River.
In 1811, Alexander Ross of the John Jacob Astor expedition called the rock "Inoshoack Castle." The rock was known as "Castle Rock" until, in 1916, the United States Board of Geographic Names restored the name "Beacon Rock."
Henry J. Biddle purchased the rock in order to build a trail to the top. The trail was built, and in 1935 his heirs turned the rock over to the state for use as a park. Additional development was done by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
The park has 28 tent spaces, one restroom and two showers. The main camp area is an older camp in a forested setting suited more for tents than RVs. There are a limited number of sites that accommodate RVs over 20 feet and the maximum site length is 40 feet. All campsites are first-come, first-served.
The boat pump-out and utility sites on the moorage dock are closed for the winter.
Winter facilities at the moorage area include 2 tent sites, one shower and one restroom. Overnight moorage and the boat launch are available year-round.
The group camp is for tent and RV use. It accommodates 200 guests. Facilities include one kitchen shelter with power and one picnic shelter. There are two Adirondack (three-sided) sleeping shelters and two vault toilets. Showers are available in the main campground and moorage area. Fees vary with size of the group.
The park offers one boat launch, 916 feet of moorage dock and a boat pumpout (closed during the winter).
A daily watercraft launching permit and a trailer dumping permit may be purchased at the park.
Annual permits also may be purchased at State Parks Headquarters in Olympia, at region offices, online, and at parks when staff is available.
There are six electrical hookup sites for boats at the moorage dock (these sites are closed during the winter). The fee for these moorage sites is the standard moorage fee plus an additional $6 per night.
Winter facilities at the moorage area include two tent sites, one shower and one restroom. Overnight moorage and the boat launch are available year round.