SPRING MILL STATE PARK
Spring Mill abounds in endless opportunities for recreation! The restored pioneer village is a delight as you travel through time to the early 1800s.
Twin Caves is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tours run on the half-hour; no advance registrations are accepted (sign up on day of tour only). No children under 3 years of age are allowed on the tour.
The operating hours for Pioneer Village are:
* Open 7 days a week, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. May through October * Additional days in March, April, November and December as posted. Open Select Days, refer to Spring Mill Program Schedules for dates.
Snuggled into a backdrop of stately oaks and rolling scenic hills, Spring Mill Inn has been one of Southern Indiana's best kept secrets for over 60 years. Spring Mill Inn is located in one of Mother Nature's most beautiful settings; Spring Mill State Park. Literally hundreds of thousands of travelers havedined at our tables, slept peacefully in our beds and snuggled up with a good book around our fireplace. The construction of the Spring Mill Inn began with the clearing of the site in 1936. In 1937, members of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC's) brought in native Indiana limestone from quarries in nearby Stonington. The limestone was used to build stone walls, laying the foundation work of today's wondrous structure. The CCC's were under the supervision of the Indiana Conservation Department Engineers Henry H. Morgan and Henry Prange. Before its completion two years later, however, there were several obstacles to overcome.
Financial consideration was one of the early obstacles. The State of Indiana did not have sufficient funds to build Spring Mill Inn as designed, so its east wing was deleted from the original design. Financing was finally obtained when the State of Indiana sold huge quantities of sand to the City of Chicago, IL to use as fill material following it's World's Fair. This money was dedicated for the Spring Mill Inn project. Construction bids were submitted several times and the Whittenburg Construction Company of Louisville, KY was finally awarded the marvelous task of constructing Spring Mill Inn on the CCC's foundation.
Located in cavernous Southern Indiana, a small cave was discovered beneath oneof the proposed wings, presenting yet another obstacle. Deep pilings had to bepoured for support that was necessary to straddle the cave, measuring some 15 by29 feet. Cooling this monstrous building was yet another obstacle. Earlyconsiderations were to pump cool air, from nearby Donaldson Cave, to cool theInn. This did not materialize, as it was feared the damp air might contribute toexcessive moisture and mildew in the structure. Air conditioning was added to the Spring Mill Inn in mid 1960's.
The original architectural design called for the building to be built of logs, so that it may blend with the Pioneer Village. A second, and more feasible design was later agreed upon using native Indiana Limestone on the facade of the building. The exterior structure remains essentially the same today as it did when it was completed in 1939. In 1976, a major renovation added a wing of 29 sleeping rooms, which was similar to the original East Wing deleted early in the project, a large conference room overlooking Spring Mill Lake, and an indoor-outdoor pool.
When Spring Mill Inn officially opened in 1939; Myron L. Rees was appointed its first manager. The dedication ceremony included such distinguished guests as Governor Clifford Townsend, Colonel Richard Lieber, State Representative E. Y.Guernsey, U.S. Congressman Eugene B. Crowe and State Entomologist FrankWallace. Representatives from numerous local civic groups and neighboringconservation departments were present as well as the leadership of the IndianConservation Departments. As "Father of the Indiana Park System", ColonelLieber was an especially honored guest for his considerable effort in the creation of Spring Mill State Park.
State park permits can be purchased at any of the state park property locations across Indiana. State park permits can also be ordered online by visiting the INDINIA ENTRANCE FEE
Electric Sites, #187
Youth Group Campyes
Indoor Swimming Poolyes
* Electric / 187 sites * Primitive / 36 sites * Youth Tent Areas * Camp Store * Dumping Station