You must be signed in to save park lists.
Your Park Lists
add New List
Add Photo
You must be signed in to add photos.
state route ranger badge

Maryland State Parks

responsive menu icon
USA Parks
Western Region
Fort Frederick State Park
Baltimore Oriole ©
A Baltimore Orioles nest is a tightly woven pouch located on the end of a branch hanging down on the underside.
Spring Hike ©
Availability Search
11100 Fort Frederick Road
Big Pool, Maryland   21711

Phone: 301) 842-2155
Reservations: 888-432-2267
The site of Maryland's frontier defense during the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the Fort's stone wall and two barracks have been restored to their 1758 appearance. Historic displays are in the Fort, barracks and Visitor Center. The park annually holds military reenactments and other special events. Park lands adjoin the Potomac River and the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal passes through park acreage. Tours are available by request. Daily Living History programming is available from Memorial Day through Labor Day and on weekends in the spring and fall.

The stone fort, named in honor of Maryland's Lord Proprietor, Frederick Calvert, Sixth Lord Baltimore, was erected by Governor Horatio Sharpe in 1756 to protect English settlers from the French and their Indian allies. Fort Frederick was unique because of its large size and strong stone wall. Most other forts of the period were built of wood and earth. The fort served as an important supply base for English campaigns. During 1763, an Ottawa Indian chief named Pontiac forged a massive Indian uprising. Several hundred settlers and militia force sought protection within the fort during this brief uprising.

Fort Frederick saw service again during the American Revolution as a prison for Hessian (German) and British soldiers. In 1791, the State of Maryland sold the fort. For the next 131 years, the fort and surrounding lands were farmed. During the Civil War, Union troops were often stationed around the fort to guard the C & O Canal.

In 1922, the State of Maryland re-purchased the fort. Throughout the 1920's, the State began development of Maryland's first state park. During the Great Depression of the 1930's, a company of the Civilian Conservation Corps was assigned to the park to reconstruct the dilapidated stone wall, perform archaeology and locate the foundations of the original interior buildings. Restoration continued in 1975. Future plans include reconstruction of the Officer's Quarters and other defensive works. Pick up a map of the park.
 Hiking Trailyes
 Swimming Beachyes
 Bike Trailsyes
BoatingLaunch Rampsyes

Visitor Comments, Memories and Reviews
write a review
Share On

Area Campgrounds
Antietam Hagerstown KOA
11759 Snug Harbor Lane
Williamsport, MD
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park
16519 Lappans Road
Williamsport, MD
Area Fishing Related Businesses
Wolfe Fish Hunt on the Square
1 W Potomac St
Williamsport, MD
(301) 223-7411
Area Cabins and Lodges
Berkeley Lodge
303 N Mary St
Hedgesville, WV
(304) 754-8301
Whitetail Resort Community
14175 Northern Lights Dr
Mercersburg, PA
(717) 328-3321
Walden Restaurant at the Woods Resort
1694 Mountain Lake Rd
Hedgesville, WV
(304) 754-7977
Elk Branch Lodge
2223 Sleepy Creek Rd
Hedgesville, WV
(304) 754-3622
Log Cabin Inn The
7536 Millstone Rd
Hancock, MD
(301) 678-5670
Nearby Hotels

state route ranger badge

Maryland State Parks