SMALLWOOD STATE PARK
Smallwood was the home of General William Smallwood, a Revolutionary War officer who was the 4th Governor of Maryland. His house, called Smallwood's Retreat, has been restored and is open to visitors. Sweden Point Marina has 50 boat slips and excellent access for fishing on the Potomac River. Besides the restored house, the 628 acre park offers the marina, boat launching ramps, a picnic-campng area and nature trails. This is a Maryland State Park. For full information go to the official webpage. (Link on the right side)
Smallwood was the home of General William Smallwood, a Revolutionary War officer who was the 4th Governor of Maryland. His house, called Smallwood's Retreat, has been restored and is open to visitors. Sweden Point Marina has 50 boat slips and excellent access for fishing on the Potomac River.
Smallwood's Retreat plantation house is open free to the public from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays from May until the end of September. Tours are conducted by costumed docents. Group tours are available upon request. For information about scheduling a group tour call 301-743-7613.
Smallwood reached the rank of major general for his service as a patriot leader during the Revolutionary War. He was elected Governor of Maryland in 1785, and later served in the Maryland Senate. The plantation house reflects Smallwood's lifestyle as a gentleman planter.
Besides the restored house, the 628 acre park offers a marina, boat launching ramps, a picnic area, camping area, pavilions, a recycled tire playground and nature trails. On occasion, there are craft demonstrations, military exhibitions and other special events. A park map is available from the park office.
Smallwood State Park was dedicated in September 1958, as a historic park. At the time, the park consisted of 30 acres of land which included the Retreat House and the grave site of General William Smallwood. Smallwood State Park takes its name from General William Smallwood, a native born Charles Countian. He was the highest ranked Marylander who served in the American Revolutionary War. During his term as the 4th Governor of Maryland, Maryland ratified the Federal Constitution.
Sweden Point Marina was not always known as Sweden Point. At one time it was referred to as Sweetman's Landing. The area that is referred to as Grinder's Wharf (which is only a few exposed pilings today) was built on a naturally deep water channel in the Mattawoman Creek. The Grinder family was one of the areas major brick manufacturers in the Chicamuxen area. They in turn used Grinders Wharf to ship their brick out to the wholesalers. In the mid 1800's the wharf was used by the Washington Steamship Lines on the Potomac. The steamers would pick up water on their journey south to the Chesapeake Bay.
Fifteen family campsites with electric hook-ups are available under the canopy of a hardwood forest. Four camper cabins sleep four and two cabins sleep six and have heat and air conditioning. Cabins #17 and #18 overlook Mattawoman Creek. Cabins #16 and #19 are close to the creek, but do not have a water view. Cabins #20 and #21 are located as you first enter the campground area. A picnic table, lantern post and fire ring are provided on each site. Bath house facilities with hot showers are also provided. In 2005, camping is available April 29-October 31
One can fish from the shore or from several stationary piers located at Sweden Point Marina. Fish that could be caught include: large and smallmouth bass, catfish, white and yellow perch, carp and hardhead. A Chesapeake Bay Sportfishing License is required. Fishing licenses can be purchased at Sweden Point Marina Concessions.
The Potomac River is one of the premier Bass Fishing areas on the East Coast. Smallwood hosts many tournaments throughout the year. All tournaments are required to be registered at Smallwood, and there is a small tournament permit service charge to cover administrative costs. Tournaments can be booked a year in advance. For a current tournament listing, tournament rules, weigh station guidelines or to book a tournament please contact the park office at 301-743-7613.