SIZERVILLE STATE PARK
SIZERVILLE STATE PARK
199 E Cowley Run Road
Emporium, Pennsylvania 15834
Toll Free: 888-727-2757
The 386-acre Sizerville State Park is nearly surrounded by Elk State Forest and is near the largest blocks of state forest in the state. Sizerville has many interesting recreational and natural opportunities and is a good base to explore the nearby public lands.
Sizerville State Park opened for public use in 1924 with the first facilities built in 1927. The name ?Sizerville? comes from a logging boomtown of the same name that flourished around the turn of the century. Sizerville itself was named for the Sizer family who were, according to local legend, the first settlers in the area.
Beautiful white pines and hemlocks grace Sizerville and bring to the visitor?s eye and mind a quiet, relaxed atmosphere. The pines were planted in the 1930s as a conservation effort by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Several thousand acres in and around the park were planted to replace the massive tracts of old growth timber logged at the turn of the century.
For more information on the CCC, visit the Civilian Conservation Corps Online Archive.
The East Branch of Cowley Run, located in the park, has historical significance in game management in Pennsylvania. In 1917, a pair of beavers was presented to the Pennsylvania Game Commission by the State of Wisconsin because beavers had become extirpated in Pennsylvania. This first pair was released on East Branch Cowley Run, and beavers are still found in the area. Elk once lived throughout the Common-wealth of Pennsylvania. Now through the efforts of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and Bureau of Forestry, reintroduction of this majestic animal to the Commonwealth has succeeded. Pennsylvania?s only elk herd lives in the mountainous, mostly wooded area of Elk, Clinton and Cameron counties.
Camping: modern sites, some with elec.
The 23-site campground opens the second Friday in April and closes after deer season in December. Facilities include flush toilets, showers and a sanitary dump station. Eighteen campsites have electricity. Five walk-in tent sites offer a secluded streamside setting. The park also features a play area and outdoor amphitheater. The maximum stay in this camping area is fourteen days during the summer season and 21 days during the off-season. Campers must vacate the park for 48 hours before setting up again. Pets are not permitted in overnight areas.
The 105-foot long concrete pool, with an adjacent wading pool, is open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day, unless otherwise posted. The maximum depth is five feet. There is a lift at the pool.