QUAIL HOLLOW STATE PARK
Quail Hollow is a landscape of rolling meadows, marshes, pine and deciduous woods surrounding a 40-room manor. Scenic woodland trails, gardens and the house offer a variety of natural and cultural experiences for visitors.
The rolling fields, stately woodlands and moist wetlands of Quail Hollow are evidence of the effects of glaciation which occurred over 12,000 years ago. Glaciers have had a profound effect on the drainage system, topography and soil/mineral composition of the area. Natural lakes are a feature of the glaciated landscape. These bodies of water were formed when large pieces of ice broke off the glacier and melted in depressions forming these kettle lakes. Most are small, old and more properly classified as bogs or marshes. Nearby Congress Lake is one of Ohio's natural lakes.
Quail Hollow's habitat diversity allows for an abundance of plant and wildlife populations. Poison sumac and other unique plants grow in the sphagnum peat bog. A tall-grass prairie supports purple coneflower, sneezeweed and other prairie plants. The woodland swamp is home to spring peepers, chorus and green frogs while the deciduous and coniferous forests provide shelter for the red fox, raccoon, skunk and white-tailed deer. A beaver colony exists on the northern border of the park.
The turn of the 19th century witnessed the coming of frontiersmen to northeastern Ohio. Although the land was still wilderness, the American Indians were already being forced westward. Tribes native to what is now Stark County, principally the Delawares, were virtually gone by 1810.
One of the earliest settlers to enter the region was Conrad Brumbaugh. His first home on the new property was built around 1820 on land that was to become the park. It was a two-story log house measuring 24' x 24', complete with a cellar constructed of stone. By 1842, a wooden frame house which incorporated the original cabin was built. Many years later, this house was destroyed by fire.
Acquisition of the Brumbaugh homestead and other properties, ultimately totaling 720 acres, was begun in 1914 by Harry Bartlett Stewart. The Stewart's original tract, adjacent to the Brumbaugh homestead, was called the Minnie Taylor Farm after Harry Stewart's wife.
The small farm house on the Minnie Taylor Farm was built in 1838. During the first few years the Stewards owned it, the home was used mainly on weekends during the autumn hunting season. By 1929, additions to the farm house and construction of its two neighboring structures were completed and the home became the permanent residence of the Stewart family. The main house, the adjacent servant's cottage and the garage appeared as they do today, reflecting strong Greek Revival and Federal architectural influences.
The Stewart's son, Harry Bartlett Stewart, Jr. and his wife Catherine moved into the manor in 1937. Mr. Stewart, like his father, was chairman of the board and chief executive officer of the Akron, Canton and Youngstown Railroad.
The Stewart family resided in their home until 1975 when they offered the acreage and building to the state for one-half the appraised valuation. The U.S. Department of Interior provided funds for the state to acquire Quail Hollow State Park. On May 15, 1975, Quail Hollow came under the administration and management of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Recreation.
Ohio does not have an annual pass and does not charge entrance fees to state parks.
Hiking Trail, miles10
Mountain Bike Trails, miles4
Bridle Trails, miles4
CampingGroup Camp, capacity25
The park's primitive group camp is available on a reservation basis to incorporated organizations. The camp includes a fire ring, picnic table and waste water barrels. Water must be carried in and trash must be packed out. Parking, water and restrooms are 1/4 mile from the site.