HARTWICK PINES STATE PARK
With an area of 9,672 acres, Hartwick Pines is the largest state park in the Lower Peninsula. The park's rolling hills, which are built of ancient glacial deposit, overlook the valley of the East Branch of the AuSable River, four small lakes and unique timber lands. The principal feature of this park is the 49-acre forest of Old Growth Pines which gives the park its name. This forest is a reminder of Michigan's past importance in the pine lumber industry as well as a source of inspiration for the future of our forests. The park is rich in scenic beauty and because of the different habitats it encompasses, there is ample subject matter for the sports person, photographer, or naturalist throughout the year. The park is open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. year round.
The Story Behind The Pines:
In 1927, Karen Michelson Hartwick purchased over 8,000 acres of land, which included 85 acres of old growth white pine, from the Salling-Hanson Company of Grayling. Mrs. Hartwick was a daughter of Nels Michelson, a founding partner of the Salling-Hanson logging company. A short while later, Mrs. Hartwick donated the land to the State of Michigan as a memorial park to be named for her husband, the late Major Edward E. Hartwick of Grayling. Edward Hartwick had died overseas during World War I. Also wishing to commemorate the logging history of the region and of her family, Karen Hartwick requested that the Hartwick Pines Logging Museum (jointly administered with the Dept. of History, Arts and Libraries) be built in the park.
In 1934 and 1935, a Civilian Conservation Corps work crew located within the park built two log structures to house this museum. Today, the museum uses exhibits, artifacts, and photographs, to recreate the atmosphere of a logging camp and tell the tale of the "shanty boys" who turned Michigan's vast forests into timber. Period settings depicting a bunkhouse, mess hall, blacksmith shop, camp office, and van (store) give the visitor a sense of what logging camp life was like.
Mrs. Hartwick was also involved in the naming of two of the park's lakes. Nels Michelson had a team of oxen which he used for skidding logs out of the forest. They were named Bright and Star. Karen Hartwick requested that the former Alexander Lakes be renamed in their honor. The state board of geographic names felt that there were already too many Star Lakes in Michigan, but they settled on Glory instead, and our Bright Lake and Glory Lake became named after logging oxen.
In November of 1940, a fierce wind storm struck the area of the park and removed nearly half of the old growth pine. Today, only 49 of the original 85 acres remain standing.
Hartwick Pines-Group Use Area(989) 348-7068 0 site(s), Contact the park Group Use Area, Rustic Site, Vault Toilet
Hartwick Pines-Modern(800) 447-2757 100 site(s)Electrical Service, Modern Restrooms
Hartwick Pines-Rustic Cabin(800) 447-2757 1 site(s)Cabins & Lodges, Vault Toilet
Michigan Forest Visitor Center programs, exhibits and displays tell the story of our state's forests. Schools and groups can make reservations for guided tours and programs by contacting the Visitor Center at (989) 348-2537. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., daily from Labor Day through Memorial Day excluding the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.