FALCON STATE PARK
Falcon State Park is 572.6 (144 developed) acres located north of Roma at the southern end of the 98,960-surface-acre International Falcon Reservoir in Starr and Zapata Counties. The park was leased from the International Boundary and Water Commission in 1949 and was opened to the public in 1965.
Falcon Dam was dedicated by Mexican President Adolfo Ruiz Cortines and President Dwight D. Eisenhower in October 1953. The waters of the Rio Grande River have formed a beautiful 60-mile-long lake behind the dam. This dam was built for conservation, irrigation, power, flood control, and recreational purposes.
Gently rolling hills are covered by mesquite, huisache, wild olive, ebony, cactus native grasses. Falcon Lake is a big fishing paradise, especially for those seeking black and white bass, catfish, and stripers (Link to detailed lake and fish info). The area is very popular with bird watchers; varied and interesting bird life consisting of common resident birds, which range throughout the American Southwest, and many of the tropical species for which this is the northwesternmost outpost. Also, there are uncommon varieties such as the small green kingfisher and the varied bunting.