BUCK CREEK STATE PARK
BUCK CREEK STATE PARK
1976 Buck Creek Ln
Springfield, Ohio 45502
Phone: (937) 322-5284
Buck Creek State Park lies in a fertile agricultural area, rich in
Ohio's history. The park's recreational facilities center around the
2,120-acre lake, offering endless water-related opportunities.
Visitors enjoy the many wetlands, broad meadows and wildlife at
this diverse park.
The natural features of Buck Creek State Park can be attributed
to the effects of glaciers which receded from Ohio over 12,000
years ago. Low hills called moraines can be seen in the area
where glaciers halted for extended periods of time and left
deposits of gravel and sand. Old river valleys were filled by these
deposits where numerous springs now well up through the sand
and gravel. The nearby city of Springfield is named for the
many springs seeping up from the broad meadows. The springs
account for the many bogs and fens in Clark and Champaign
counties of which Cedar Bog is probably the best known.
These wet areas harbor an assortment of rare and unusual plants
including round-leaved sundew and horned bladderwort. The
spotted turtle, a state endangered animal, is found in the area.
The northernmost region of the park is an excellent area to
observe waterfowl. The shallow waters provide a stopover for
thousands of migrating ducks. Relatively rare songbirds of open
meadows are also present including dickcissels, bobolinks and
Buck Creek was home to Indians and pioneers. The land at the
time of early settlement was mostly forested by large trees with
minimal undergrowth. Occasionally, the forests were interrupted by prairie openings.
In 1780, George Rogers Clark, a Revolutionary war hero, led a band of nearly 1,000 Kentuckians in a raid against Ohio
Indians. The Shawnee Indians abandoned their camp which they called Old Chillicothe (near Xenia) and fled to Piqua, the
Shawnee capital, located west of the present site of Springfield. Clark pursued the fleeing Indians, and the Shawnee were
defeated at the Battle of Piqua. Most of the Indians, however, had dispersed into the woodlands. One Indian hiding in the
woods was the young Tecumseh, who vowed to avenge the attack. Following the battle, Clark's men retreated to their homes
in Kentucky and the Indians moved north. A new Piqua was erected on the banks of the Miami River. This battle put a
temporary end to Indian warfare.
With the decline of Indian threat, settlers moved into the area. In
1799, legendary frontiersman Simon Kenton settled in the
region with six other Kentucky families. The group lived near the
confluence of Buck Creek and Mad River. After two years, the
settlers moved to different areas. Kenton established a home
along Buck Creek about four miles north of present Springfield.
Settlement brought change to the area as trees were cut to
construct buildings. Acres were cleared and farm crops were
planted. The settlers found the land extremely fertile.
The community of Springfield was founded in 1801 and has
served since then as the county seat of Clark County. In 1838, the
National Road (U.S. 40) reached Springfield and this opened
new markets for manufacturing and agriculture. Over the years,
Springfield's character changed from rural to industrial. By 1880, the community led the nation in the manufacturing of
In September 1966, work was started by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to impound Buck Creek as a flood control project.
In 1974, the Clarence J. Brown Dam and Reservoir were dedicated and an agreement gave the Ohio Department of Natural
Resources the operation of much of the area. Buck Creek State Park was officially opened in June 1975.
Nearby Wildlife Area, acres284
Hiking Trail, miles10
Picnic Shelters, #3
Swimming Beach, feet2,400
Bridle Trails, miles8
BoatingBoating LimitsUnlimited HP
Seasonal Dock Rental186
Launch Ramps, #1
Fuel For Saleyes
Electric Sites, #89
AccommodationsFamily Cottages, #26
There are 26 family cottages situated in a wooded area with several offering a view of the lake. The cottages have two
bedrooms, bath with a shower, living room with a trundle bed, complete kitchen, dining area and screened porch.
This modern campground has 101 campsites of which 89 have electricity. Campground facilities include showers, flush toilets
and dump station. Campers with pets may camp on designated sites.
Sunbathers and swimmers enjoy the 2,400-foot sand beach. A
concession stand is located at the beach.
Boating with unlimited horsepower is permitted on the 2,120-acre lake. A four-lane launch ramp provides access to the lake.
A marina provides fuel, snack bar, and bait shop.