AMBROSE A CALL STATE PARK
Ambrose A. Call State Park is a 138 acre "oasis" of rugged hills heavily wooded with virgin timber in an area of gently rolling farmland. The park is located near the east fork of the Des Moines River. Ambrose Call and his brother, Asa, were early settlers in the area who carved their claim, the first in Kossuth County, on a walnut tree at the present site of the park. The brothers spent their first night in Kossuth County on July 9, 1854. The next day, while Asa went for his wife and supplies, Ambrose and a traveling companion, William Smith, began work on a cabin in what is now the state park.
Seventy-one years later, in 1925, Mrs. Gardner Cowles made a gift of land to the state in memory of her father, Ambrose A. Call. The park was dedicated in 1929.
The authentic log cabin is constructed of elm logs, some exceeding 18 inches in diameter, which is typical of cabins built by the original settlers in the area. Four men were needed to put the logs in place. The cabin in the park is located in the approximate location of the first log cabin in Kossuth County. It was moved from the August Zahlten homestead to the park.
Electric Sites, #13
Ambrose A. Call State Park offers 16 sites. 13 sites are 30 amp electric and 3 sites are non-electric. There are two hydrants available in the campground for people to fill from. Guests are not able to remain connected to the hydrants when camping.
A log cabin-style lodge built in 1928 provides an excellent setting for such group activities as wedding receptions, family reunions, and community get-togethers. For lodge reservations, call the ranger at Pilot Knob State Park at 641/581-4835.