MONUMENT HILL STATE PARK
Monument Hill and Kreische Brewery State Historic Sites, 40.4 acres total, are located 1 mile south of La Grange, in Fayette County. The tomb at Monument Hill was acquired by the State of Texas in 1907 and transferred to Texas Parks and Wildlife in 1949. In 1956, the Archbishop of San Antonio and the citizens of Fayette County deeded an additional 3.58 acres to the site. Another 36-acre tract, including the Kreische Brewery and Kreische Home was added in 1977. The park was opened in 1983, after archaeological study and stabilization had been completed.
The brewery is open for guided tours Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., conducted by the park's trained docents. Tours of the Kreische house are scheduled on selected weekends when docent volunteers are available. This is typically on the first and second Sundays, between 1:30 and 4:00 p.m. Special weekday group tours of Monument Hill, the Brewery, or the Kreische house can be arranged in advance through the park headquarters. Larger groups enjoy a special overview of the park on a historical, scenic guided tour along the park's interpretive trail (with kolaches and refreshments as an option).
Bastrop State Park, Buescher State Park, Palmetto State Park, Lake Somerville State Park and Stephen F. Austin State Park are all nearby overnight parks within easy driving distance for a day trip visit.
A unique "Painted Churches Tour" is available to the south of the park, featuring authentic 19th-Century European style churches from German, Czech, and other similar cultures in the countryside toward Schulenberg and Flatonia. Printed information is available from the park office or from the Schulenberg Chamber of Commerce www.schulenburgchamber.org
The town of La Grange has many fine old buildings (including some that Mr. Kreische built) available for tour and a "real" courthouse square, featuring an 1890s architecturally-significant courthouse building. A large monument to the heroes of the Dawson and Mier expeditions is located in the courthouse lawn, and in one corner of the square is the "Muster Oak," where Captain Nicholas Dawson and those men of his expedition gathered to ride to their fates at the battle at Salado Creek at San Antonio in 1842. Fayette County men during eight wars and conflicts have joined military service since that time under this tree. An impressive and historical old stone jail building at 171 South Main Street, one block south of the square, houses the La Grange Area Chamber of Commerce. Additional information can be obtained on amenities, overnight lodging, shopping, and sightseeing opportunities at their office. Their telephone is 979/968-5756. Ask about the old historical cemetery or countywide tours that are being developed through the Chamber's office. Do not miss La Grange's bakeries and restaurants, serving traditional and ethnic foods and pastries, as well as plain, good food. The park has standing partnerships through the Chamber of Commerce offices with many businesses and will be pleased to work with you or your group to contribute information for "package" tours both at the park and in the surrounding communities. The Communities of Round Top and Winedale are nearby, with German and English nineteenth century museums and buildings available for viewing. Washington-on-the-Brazos State Historic Site is within driving distance with a common theme of Texas Independence. You may want to refer to nearby parks.
La Grange is located between San Antonio, Austin, and Houston. From the La Grange Business District, take State Highway 77 South across the Colorado River, and .4 mile on Spur 92, west to the park entrance.