Fort Okanogan State Park is 45-acre day-use park set on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River. The park has 1,000 feet of "high" freshwater shoreline, but no beach accessibility. The park and interpretive center overlook the Columbia River and old fur trading sites, one of the first Washington settlements.
Summer: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wed. - Sun.Winter: Closed Oct. 2, reopens May 8.
Group tours are still available by appointment, call the park at (509) 923-2473.
The interpretive center is open five days a week in the summer.
Nature of the Area
Wildlife Mammals Birds Fish & Sea Life? Chipmunks? Coyotes? Rabbits? Crows or Ravens? Doves or Pigeons? Ducks? Geese? Hawks? Jays? Quail
Environmental Features Physical Features Plant Life
? Ponderosa Pine? Daisy? Lupines
History of the Area
David Stuart of the Pacific Fur Company established a colony and named it "Fort Okanogan" in 1811. In 1821, the fort was purchased by the Hudson Bay Company. Fort Okanogan Interpretive Center overlooks the site of the original fort. The word "Okanogan" is derived from "Okinakane," the name the local Indians used for themselves.
Services/Supplies Available in the area ? Auto repair? Camping? Diesel? Fishing/hunting? Gasoline? Gifts? Golf? Groceries? Hardware? Hospital? Overnight Accommodations? Pay phone? Postal service? Propane? Recreational equipment? White gas? Wood? Swimming
The park provides one unsheltered and two sheltered picnic tables, as well as one restroom with ADA accommodations. Picnic sites are available first-come, first-served.
The park includes an interpretive center, open seven days a week from mid-May to the end of August. The interpretive center provides displays and information on one of the first settlements in Washington and the fur-trapping history of the area. Please call (509) 689-6665 for further information.