FORT GRIFFIN STATE PARK
Fort Griffin State Park and Historic Site is 506.2 acres, with 1500 feet of river area north of Albany in Shackelford County. The state was deeded the land by Shackelford County in 1935. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built many of the park's facilities before the park opened to the public in 1938. Within the park, partially restored ruins of Old Fort Griffin are on a bluff overlooking the town site of Fort Griffin and the Clear Fork of the Brazos River Valley. The ruins include a hand dug well, a mess hall, a ghost building, barracks, a library, a rock chimney, a store, an administration building, a cistern, a hospital, a powder magazine, the foundation of the officers' quarters, the first sergeant's quarters, a restored bakery, and replicas of enlisted men's huts. A portion of the official Texas Longhorn herd resides in the park. The park offers camping, hiking, fishing, picnicking, living history, historical reenactments, and nature study.
Fort Griffin once held command of the southern plains, saw the end of both the great herds of buffalo and those who hunted them, and was home to a rugged group of men. The fort was constructed in 1867 and deactivated in 1881.