CLEVELAND LAKEFRONT STATE PARK
CLEVELAND LAKEFRONT STATE PARK
8701 Lakeshore Blvd NE
Cleveland, Ohio 44108-1069
In the heart of one of Ohio's largest cities, Cleveland Lakefront State Park provides natural relief to the metropolitan skyline. Sand beaches, tree-lined picnic areas and panoramic views of the lake are found within the park along the Lake Erie shoreline
Ohio has been truly blessed by the presence of Lake Erie on its northern border. Lake Erie is one of the largest bodies of freshwater in the world. When considering nearly 99% of the world's water supply is either frozen or saltwater, the Great Lakes are a tremendous resource most Ohioans take for granted.
Lake Erie is shallow allowing for violent storms with high waves. The lake is divided into three basins: west, central and eastern. The west is most shallow at 25 to 30 feet average depth. The central basin, wherein lies Cleveland Lakefront State Park, has an average depth of 61 feet. The eastern basin is deepest at 210 feet average depth.
Lake Erie, because of its higher nutrient levels and warmer temperatures, produces greater numbers and varieties of fish than any other great lake. The annual Erie fish catch nearly equals the combined catches of all the other great lakes. Dominant species are perch, smallmouth and white bass, channel catfish, walleye and freshwater drum.
Sand beaches are scattered along the main shoreline. Coastal plants such as sand cherry, beach grass, beach pea and others are rare in this urban environment. Common trees include cottonwood, willow and ash with vines of wild grape, Virginia creeper, bittersweet and poison ivy among the branches.
The first pioneer settlers arrived in the area in 1796. In 1827, the Ohio Canal was completed as far south as Akron, and by 1832, it was in operation from Lake Erie to the Ohio River resulting in great prosperity and a rapid population increase for Cleveland. Cleveland was a noted center of the stagecoach lines between the East, West and South until the railroads came about 1850 replacing the stagelines. When the Cleveland and Mahoning Valley Railroad was completed, it extended into that valley's great coal fields laying the foundation for Cleveland as an industrial giant. With the availability of coal and iron ore, great iron furnaces and rolling mills soon lined the banks of the Cuyahoga River.
As early as 1865, lands were set aside in Cleveland to be developed as recreation areas. In 1977, the city of Cleveland leased its four lakefront parks to the state of Ohio. The four parks became Cleveland Lakefront State Park in 1978. In 1982, the Euclid Beach area was added to the state park property. The Villa Angela area consisted of two separate land purchases. The first 30 acres was bought by the city of Cleveland and turned over to the state in 1984. ODNR and the Cleveland Public Library purchased the remaining 13 acres in May 1991. While each area appears to be a separate park, they are administered through a single park office located at Gordon Park.
FACILITIES AND ACTIVITIES OVERVIEW
Water, acresGreat Lake
Picnic Shelters, #4
Mountain Bike Trails, miles3
BoatingBoating LimitsUnlimited HP
Seasonal Dock Rental350
Launch Ramps, #4
Fuel For Saleyes