PILOT KNOB STATE PARK 2148 340th Street Forest City, Iowa 50436
Phone: 641-581-4835 Reservations: 641-581-4835
Pilot Knob State Park is one of the oldest units in the state park system. It was dedicated in 1923. Standing atop the tower on "Pilot Knob," the second highest point in Iowa, visitors have a spectacular view. From the tower built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s, one can see great expanses of some of the most fertile farmland in the world. After glaciers leveled the prairies of north-central Iowa, they deposited the rocks and earth that formed the hills and valleys that are now Pilot Knob. In earlier times, pioneers used the Pilot Knob as a guide as they traveled west in covered wagons, thus giving the park its name. An open air amphitheater, constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s, is surrounded by scenic woods.
FACILITIES AND ACTIVITIES OVERVIEW
There are 60 campsites (48 with electrical hookups), modern showers, rest room facilities and a trailer dump station. A playground is located near the campground. Starting February 13, 2006 advance campsite reservations can be booked through the park reservation system. Half of the campsites are still available for self-registration on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Two open picnic shelters are available on a reservation basis through the park ranger for a fee. Picnic tables and fireplaces are plentiful in pleasantly shaded areas.
The park has excellent trails for hikers and horseback riders. In winter, a warming house with electricity and heat provides comfort for ice skaters, snowmobilers, cross-country skiers and ice fishermen.