MOHAWK STATE FOREST
A clear, cold river cascades through Mohawk Trail State Forest along a rocky streambed. One of the most scenic woodland areas in Massachusetts, the state forest offers visitors a taste of real wilderness in a rustic setting. Over 6,000 acres of mountain ridges, deep gorges and tall old-growth trees support a diversity of plant and animal life. 56 wooded campsites are available seasonally, and six overnight log cabins are available year-round.Discover miles of rivers and streams for excellent trout fishing, a swimming area, and a day-use picnic area. The state forest is located along and named for the Mohawk Trail a historic Native American foot path that connected the Connecticut and Hudson River Valleys. Sections of this route are open for hiking today as the Mahican-Mohawk Trail.
In total, the White Memorial Foundation contributed over 2,900 acres to the acquisition of the forest, starting in 1921. The rugged hills of this wildlife sanctuary provide panoramic vistas. A black spruce bog offers the visitor the opportunity to view a unique plant community.
Connecticut has made state parks, forests, trails, historic sites and beaches more accessible to our residents so they can enjoy the many attractions and beauty they offer. Under the Passport to the Parks program, parking fees are now eliminated at Connecticut State Parks for those with Connecticut registered vehicles. You can view the CONNECTICUT PASSPORT TO THE PARKS
web page to learn more.
Mohawk State Forest in Connecticut is a beautiful place to explore, but it does not offer traditional camping facilities. However, there are several nearby campgrounds and RV parks where you can stay while visiting the forest:
1. Lone Oak Campsites: Located just 20 minutes from Mohawk State Forest, this campground offers tent sites as well as full hook-up RV sites.
2. Cozy Hills Campground: This family-friendly campground has both rustic campsites for tents and deluxe ones with electricity and water supply for trailers or motorhomes.
3. White Pines Campsite: Situated about half an hour away from the state forest, they provide various amenities including swimming pool access along with their standard camping options.
4. Hemlock Hill Camp Resort & Livery: Offers wooded tenting areas alongside trailer spaces equipped with modern conveniences like Wi-Fi connectivity etc.,.
5. Gentile's Family: Style Camping Grounds: A pet friendly site that also provides fishing opportunities besides regular accommodation services.