INKS LAKE STATE PARK
Inks Lake State Park is 1201 acres of recreational facilities adjacent to Inks Lake on the Colorado River in Burnet County. The park was acquired by deeds from the Lower Colorado River Authority and private owners in 1940 and was opened to the public in 1950. Inks Lake is located in the Highland Lakes chain (7 lakes) surrounded by granite hills. The water level of Inks Lake is usually unaffected by drought and is maintained at a normal level most of the time. During flooding situations, the lake level can rise as the flood waters are passed through Inks Lake to other lakes downstream.
The park area has been used for cattle ranching since the mid-1800s. It remained a part of various ranches until the state acquired the land in 1940. Culverts and roads in the park were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps from the camp at Longhorn Caverns in the 1930s.
The park is a panorama of cedar and oak woodlands, wildflowers, and pink granite outcroppings in the Central Texas Hill Country. Deer, turkey, quail, numerous songbirds, and other species of wildlife are abundant in the park. The most commonly caught fish are bass, crappie, and catfish.
to this park:
The Lyndon B. Johnson State Historic Site; Colorado Bend State Park, Pedernales Falls State Park, and Longhorn Cavern State Park; Enchanted Rock State Natural Area; a federal fish hatchery; Vanishing Texas River Cruise; Granite Mountain quarry at nearby Marble Falls that furnished material for the Texas State Capitol; Lake Buchanan and Buchanan Dam (the largest multi-arch dam in the world is located 4 miles from the park); Lake Lyndon B. Johnson; Lake Marble Falls; and Lake Travis; and the historical districts in Burnet, Llano, Johnson City, and Fredericksburg. You may want to refer to nearby parks.
Current conditions including fire bans and water levels can vary from day to day. For more details, call the park or Park Information at 1-800-792-1112.
The park is located 9 miles west of Burnet on State Highway 29 to Park Road 4. Go south 3 miles to the park headquarters.